Friday, May 23, 2014

Going home and ran into these pulps...

So, this morning I was headed to Lacrosse, WI. to unload and was heading back to the castle here and I get distracted when I don't have anywhere to go right away; I stop at a antique mall   It's one I stop at cause its easy to park at and I have gotten pulps there before.  But nothing turns up, a few Colliers and a Liberty, I'm trying to stay with pulps as I like the stories better.  The art in the slicks(Colliers)  is pretty cool I have to admit, but that's another story, so to speak!  On down the main drag to my hacienda and I know there is another older store down the road that I drive on every single week and its always closed, I mean its been 10 years going back and forth past that place, never, ever open.  Its Memorial Day weekend and I think, yeah, if anytime its now.  WOW, yup, by god its got an open sign out front of the joint!  Some of you may know that I drive a 80 foot long red monstrosity that's friggin' hard to park, but I ain't missing this guy being open, not in your life.  I park it on the side of the highway as far as it will fit and not be in the ditch, put the flashers on and go in.  Pretty cool when there is a very large stash of Life and Look and Colliers, and American Boy and just a huge bunch of magazines in the first row.  Got to be some pulps here, hey?  Well, the first thing I see is 2, foot high stacks of Railroad pulps, neat, but not my thing.  Next to them is the above stack of 7 nice westerns 30's and 40's!  Right on top is the Fifteen Western Tales, great cover by Robert Stanley I think, would have bought it in the day.  I love interior art in these Popular Pulps, like this:
The art could be Gerald McCann, who had a very nice style and a excellent design sense. Any time I can score a Masked Rider pulp is a good day for me, and it'll rise to the top of my pile of reads, very fine cover probably by George Rosen, kinda dark figures seems to be his color choice.  You can double click on the group shot and see his signed one on the Western Romances, I like the equal opportunity covers for the Romance titles.
This is the first time I've turned up any Dell Pulps,in the real world, the WR and the All Western are both by them and look like interesting reads, I mean the WR has a Anthony M. Rud  Story, the guy wrote everything from SF to Romance and was an editor also!  I love the trimmed edges lots easier to page though and looks better to me.  Still, got to have a place in your head for the rough edges too, a true pulp!

Seems to me the earlier pulps like the All Western and the copy of West, both from the 30's had less interesting art, but the stories are such Golden Age greats, that is,it doesn't matter!  More on the stories in part 2 of this and when I get to reading them.
West has a great cover, very different from the others and striking to me, would have glommed on to that right away, and really the stories look like great reads too!  I have not done any research on these yet, so will be checking them out over the next few days for info.  The Star Western claims to have 6 complete novels and its less than 100 pages,(Was issues)  about 15 to 18 pages each!  Cool!  Let's close with a interior from Star Western, another McCann pen and ink.

Good stuff, just a fun find, how can you miss on this stuff?  Anyone read any of these?

15 comments:

  1. Nice post Jonathan. I have many WESTS and STAR WESTERN, so I may have read these issues. I have some interior original art from the western pulps, my favorite being Nick Eggenhofer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes sir, Walker, love original art, Eggenhofer is excellent and I think he had some art in the West issue I have. Most of my West issues are of Zorro stories so they are later '40's, this is my oldest issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked up the three Zorro anthologies from HANOS, which contained most of the Zorro stories, so I got rid of just about all my WEST issues. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make a great find there Jonathan, these are in lovely condition. If I may suggest, you should send an email to Phil Stephensen-Payne at Galactic Central with a picture of the West which is the Dec. 1934 issue as he does not have this issue on his pulp cover gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Egad! I really need to proof read before I hit transmit---I meant to write "made a great find" not "make".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Barry, Happens to me all the time! As for the West December 1934 I see that to be the case over at FM. Will let him know. Yeah, love stuff you can find out there, I know you can get more on eBay but this is more fun. Have another story from last week too to post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree Jonathan, finding pulps, etc. in a shop or flea market is always more fun and you can see what you getting and know that the seller isn't playing games with the buyer as happened once to me on eBay. Actually there are only two people that I have absolute faith buying from on eBay and one is Jack Cullers. Jack is that honest man that Diogenes was looking for with his lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well ya know Barry, I had to go back out to the truck for some cash and showed him a few of my pulps out there and he says he has some SF back in the storage shed, meaning pulps that is, so will have to go back. And, he said just knock on the door in back, he lives there! Always the thrill of the hunt! Now to post the SF ones I showed to him...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would like to have the All Western pup, would you sale it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna, I haven't read it yet, keep you in mind. Whats your interest in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thanks for your reply. I want the All Western pulp because it contains a story ( King of the Cardonga ) written by Jim Kjelgaard. I have been collecting Kjelgaard stories for many years and this is one of the few I don't have. A photocopy of the story would be fine. Thanks again.

      Delete
  11. Donna sorry been busy with work etc, email me direct at jcentauratyahoo.com with your snail mail address and I'll send it to you. Read the story great short story about Huskies, I had a dog like that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan, I can't get your email address to work for some reason....

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  12. Donna just post your snail mail here and I'll send the story to you, no scanner here. jcentaur@yahoo.com if you want to try again

    ReplyDelete